Monday, September 25, 2006

Day 1 and two : Delhi to Munsyari to Sobla

DAY ONE (30TH SEPT.2006) : DELHI TO MUNSYARI

Delhi to Munsyari is around 630 kms and takes around 24 hrs from Del. which includes 13 – 15 hrs of hilly terrain. I always prefer taking the local transport, since its good fun traveling with fellow passengers and it helps understand the local culture as well. Hence, I finished my work at office and promptly reached Anand Vihar Bus Station, Delhi at 5 pm., wow that an achievement :). I found that Del- Munsyari bus had left at 4.45, but I was lucky as I was told that the Del – Dharchula bus which would take me till Thal from where I could change bus / jeep and reach Munsyari even before the original bus !!! wow, that a strange co incidence !!

We crossed Haldwani at around 1.30 and I suddenly felt wiff of chilled air once the ascent started from Kathgodam.
The driver was an old man who did not look in a hurry while driving in plains from Del to kathgodam. But, once, we crossed Kathgodam, I was amazed to see the speed at which he was moving .Man we were going were moving at speed of over 40 kms per hour in State transport bus in the hills !!!! He seemed to be in hurry to reach Almora( from where the driver change occurs. We promptly reached at Almora around 4 am.
Now, the confusion started as conductor told us that driver is to be replaced at Almora and the other driver who is supposed to take over has not reported. Which meant that the bus could not move at all!!! In the meantime, someone told us that the driver may come and would definitely report. I was hard pressed for time as I had ot reach Munsyari before daylight. Hence I promptly alighted with my baggage and got into the next alternative bus which happened to be Del – Munsyari, yohooo  .


This is the bus I originally boarded from Del. till Almora


The beautiful Bageshwar valley



This was the first view of the Himalayas soaring high into the sky !!Although ther were clouds, the snowbound peaks behind the green valleys were just too good to be true




I took this pic of the bus (I took from Almora to Munsyari ) as we stopped for lunch at Thal
href="http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger2/4514/1738/1600/76637/100_1527.jpg">

The beautiful valleys along the route from to Munsyari


This is the famous Birthi water fall (130 metere ) awesome place. There is a rest house near the waterfall which provides amazing view of the falls as well as the valley below.

The dangerous route to Munsyari with 1000 feet plus drops which could unnerve just anybody on this earth !!

This is the view that greeted us when we reached Munsyari which was out of the world !!




DAY TWO ( 1st OCT. 2006): MUNSYARI TO SOBLA

I had a good night sleep and got up at 5.30 to take pics of the sunrise behind the mountains on the East of Panchchuli.



I started off from rest house after quick breakfast and took the local route of changing the jeeps enroute.
The first was Munsyari to Madkot(22 kms), which is very bad road which is non existant at times !!


There is continuous descent from Munsyari along the Goriganga river (coming from Milam glaceir)and beautiful valleys and waterfalls provide pelasent company.


I caught this cat and dog playing and enjoying the morning sun


There are many such wooden bridges due to which this route is only jeepable as it cannot take the load of buses/ trucks.

Its not wrong , if we say that these jeeps have now become the lifeline of hills as they are used for all sundry purposes including transporting cattle !!!


I got into another jeep for Jauljibi from Madkot(50kms)and the driver drove merrily packing jeep to max.(including roof)making sure that he did not leave a single soul unattended on the route !!

I changed jeep from Jauljibi and finally Dharchula around 1 pm. It was pain moving the rucksack everytime from one jeep to another.
I was told to contact the Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam (KMVN) rest house at Dharchula who could help me with porter/ arrangement for trek. To my bad luck, there was nobody who could help me.
Hence, I quickly had lunch there and proceeded for Nepal !!! Dharchula is the border town connected to Nepal through age old bridge on Kali river and its 10 meters from KMVN rest house. I could see so many Nepali shopping/moving in dharchula as the border between India - Nepal is free and does not require any passport/ visa.

Wow, I am reached foreign land ;).You can c me standing in Nepal and across the Kali river is India !!!


You can see the bridge which goes to Kailash Mansarover along Kali river to China via Lipulekh Pass( 5000 mtr).


Sobla(50 kms)by share jeep. I was told my jeepdriver that I could get porter from Sobla. I had tent/ sleeping bag with me , so I only needed porter/guide for the trek. The road to Sobla is also very bad , but the driver was as ususal regular and hence managed to cross it all over the small rivers along the hills.

This is the Chirkhala reservoir which provides water for NHPC Hydel plant which is currently producing 230 Megawatt of electricity.

I managed to reach Sobla( base camp) for Darma valley around 5 pm.
tTen began, the difficult work of arranging the trek. I got in touch with the driver who quickly got me to few guys who have been to Panchachuli ealrier.Some of the guys had work in fields, hence declined. I could not find anybody who had done camping/ preparing food etc. I was earlier plannig to take stove and ration as I wanted to camp along the route, but was told that the villege hotels are all open and camping was not essential except for the final camp near the the glacier. I assessed the situation and finally chose Arjun who had been to Panchchuli glaceir earlier with trkeker camps.

I stayed in the house of my driver sharIng room with his co worker.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
We are planning to do the Panchachulli trek this sept end. Can you please suggest the name of a porter and guide from dharchula and the approximate cost involved.

Is there a direct bus from delhi to dharchula and what are the timings?

Dow eneed to make some permit for the panchachulli trek?

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting. Great article.