Saturday, October 07, 2006

Panchchuli Glacier and Darma Valley

I had somehow managed to get 4 days off further to the 2nd Oct. So I decided to go to the higher Himalayas for trek. Now, choosing the trek is the single most difficult thing. After hectic rounds of discussion with Prashant and lots and lots of googling, we finally zeroed on Panchchuli Glacier in Darma Valley,(in district Pithoragarh) in Kumaon. I had been to Gharwal hills last time ( Roopkund), hence I selected Kumaon to be my next destination, crazy logic ;)
After lots of telecoms with Prashant, we finally decided to travel together to Munsyari and then I would go further to Panchchuli glacier and he had to come back (as he had no leaves).
My plan as usual start going wrong from day one !!! I could not get leave for 29th Sept which meant that I would reach Munsyari one day late than Prashant.
The google earth has the most explicit path to the Darma valley which was of great help in understanding the terrain. So, loaded with bits of information, I decided to venture for OPERATION PANCHCHULI GLACIER

Panchchuli Glacier: It is one of the most beautiful glaciers originating from Panchchuli set of 5 peak and unexplored treks in district Pithoragarh, Kumaon and along one of the most picturescue valleys and villages.
It gives way to Darma valley and flows into Dhauli ganga which emerges from the glaciers of Panchchuli and other hills around Tibet and flows across Darma valley and finally meets Kali river at Tawaghat.


Day 1( Delhi to Munsyari):

Day 3( Sobla to Sela):

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

kandpal-jyu:

this is what they call "awesomely cool". hats off and more power to you..

CT, USA